Welcome One And All

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Help Your Kids To Read Better!

Help Your Kids To Read Better!
By Anna-Marie Stewart

One of my blog visitors asked me to write a bit about how I got Kyle to read after she'd read some posts about him and his ADHD so I thought, yeah, why not?


Basically, what I did was really easy. I forced Kyle to read without him even knowing it. I started off with simple stuff, like road signs. They're big and bright and attention grabbing, and most have pictures to go along with the words. Everywhere we went, I'd point out a road sign and ask him to tell me what it meant. It worked, and it wasn't long before he started reading ALL road signs, with our without pictures and feeling really proud of himself for being able to do it.

We have a gazillion books at home, and I've always read to my kids, but with Kyle I started to 'cheat'. I'd leave out exciting bits, or just read a few words from each page and make the story REALLY short. I started doing that with books and stories he was already familiar with so that he'd KNOW I was leaving stuff out, and he'd call me on it. I'd say, well how do you KNOW what's missing. I can read, can you? He actually took on the challenge.

He started sneaking books up to his room. (I say sneaking, but in reality he just THOUGHT he was sneaking them and I let him think that). Now to me, it was brilliant, he'd NEVER shown an interest in books before, so I took it as a good sign and didn't mention it to him.

Another thing I did was whenever he wanted to watch tv I would make him hit the info button before watching a program to bring the synopsis up, and I'd read it out to him. When I wasn't around, he'd sit flicking through the channels and looking at the synpsis for each program to see which words he recognized. It was a good habit to get into as he now NEVER watches a program without reading what it's about first.

We also get reading in another way whenever we're out, and that's by using cars. Yep, cars. We read the license plates to see if we can make up words from the letters on them. Try it, it can be quite amusing ;)

One of the MAIN things in getting him to read was, of course, sweets! With his ADHD there are a LOT of things we try to keep out of his way, such as e colours and additives. My kids only get sweets on Saturdays and a very limited amout too. As the others are in school I started taking Kyle with me on the Friday to buy the sweets ready for the Saturday. I gave him the choice of ANY sweets he wanted so long as they had no e colours or additives.

It worked! He now looks at every sweet packet and even every food packet to see if it's something he's allowed to have or not.

Kyle also loves the pc and for a while we had 2 pc's right next to each other. He'd play his games and I'd work on my ezine and ebooks. Every time he needed help he would ask. Of course, I was working, so sometimes he'd have to wait for an answer. He got impatient and tried to read for himself. I'd tell him to say it out loud and if he read something wrong I'd help him to see what it actually said and it just took off from there.

All the while, more and more books have been disappearing from the living room.

It's VERY rare he ever asks for help with his reading now, and frequently comes running from his room to read to me about tarantulas, bugs, sharks and anything else he's found interesting.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

===============Resource Box===========
Discover how a mom with four unruly kids avoided
a breakdown with this surprise discovery! 12-page
guide reveals 32 ways to keep your kids occupied,
happy and focused. It’s a parent’s dream come true!
http://annamarketing.com/FTS/32Ways.htm
-------------------------------------------------

This article is available for reprint in your opt-in ezine, web site or ebook. You MUST agree not to make any changes to the article and the RESOURCE BOX MUST be included. (c) 2006 Anna-Marie Stewart. All Rights Reserved


Technorati Tags:
, , , ,
Comments:
Blogger AngelConradie said...

its one area damien and i have never battled with- he's always loved reading, especially "goosebumps" "garfield" "asterix" and other comics, and lately he's developed a taste for warhammer chapter books.

now- anyoine have a solution for a loathing of math!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

LOL, pocket money! Ok, maybe not pocket money as such, but we have a jar FULL of change in the living room. Kyle is allowed a certain amount per week for his 'sweetie-day', but he has to count it out himself, then he has to x it by 4 so that ALL the kids get the same amount. Then when we go to buy the sweets, he has to work out how much he's spent on who so that it's not unfair. I've been lucky, as Kyle enjoys maths at times. Mostly though, he enjoys using the pc for maths. Neopets.com is a great place to let them play and they actually learn a lot of math there without even knowing it ;)

Anna

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment